Unpack the phone components and cables and plug them together as follows (easiest done with the phone base upside down as shown).
NOTE Look in the compartment at the very front of the box for the cables.
1. Click the stand to the base unit.
2. Connect the handset using the curly phone cable.
3. Connect the ethernet socket to one of the sockets on your router, using the supplied. It should be clearly labelled.
Switch the power on and leave the phone to initialise for two minutes.
- If you have your network set up to hand-out IP addresses (using DHCP), the phone will pick up an IP address and be ready for use. If not, see Setting an IP address
- If you bought your phone from Gradwell, it will already be configured for use with your first Centrex extension. If you bought it elsewhere, see Configuring the phone
To answer a call: pick up the handset, or use the Headset button on the headset (if any), or press the Speaker button for hands-free operation.
To switch between two calls on different lines: press the corresponding Line button to put the current caller on hold, and press the other Line button to speak to the other caller. The ‘active line’ is shown by a steady red light and ‘held’ by a flashing light. Unused lines are green.
To hold a call without speaking to another caller: press the Hold (hand) button.
To make calls: enter the number using the keypad then pick up the handset to make a call. Press the dial softkey at the left bottom of the display to start dialing. Press the Headset or Speaker button before dialing for a headset or hands-free call, respectively.
- To dial an IP address, hold the hash key down to enter a dot
- To dial a SIP URL, press 1 then use the down-arrow on the menu navigation key to toggle between lower-case, capital letters and numbers, as indicated in the display. You’ll find the left-arrow key (to backspace and correct mistakes) useful until you get the hang of this! Use the 1 key twice to get the @ character
To end headset/hands-free calls: press the Headset or Speaker button again.
To make attended transfers: put the caller on hold by pressing the xfer softkey. Dial the destination number as usual and speak to the recipient. Then press the xfer soft key again to put the caller through and hang up your connection.
To make conference (three-way) calls: If only one party is currently connected, press the conf softkey to put it on hold. Dial the third party, and when they answer, press the conf softkey again to join all three parties into a conference call.
If both parties are already connected/on hold, press the confLx soft key. If one call is on hold, the conference call starts immediately. If more than one call is on hold, the phone prompts you to select the other line key to join with the active call.
To pick up voicemails: dial *1 and enter the voicemail password when prompted (which you will find in the extension details in your VoIP control panel).
Setting an IP Address
From the phone keypad:
- Press the Setup button (folded page icon)
- Select option 9 for network settings
- Select option 1, Select y/n to set to off, press the OK key
- Select option 8 to set the IP address (use the * to enter the full stop)
- Select option 9 to set the subnet mask
- Select option 10 to set the default gateway
Configuring the phone
(Only necessary for phones not purchased from Gradwell. Requires a PC on the same LAN/subnet as the phone).
- Press the Setup Key (folded page Icon Key)
- Select option 9 for network settings
- Make a note of the IP address
Type the IP address into your browser like this: http://nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn/admin/advanced (replace each nnn by as many digits as appear in the phone display, for example http://192.168.0.120/admin/advanced), then press Enter, you should now see the Linksys webpage showing the status of the phone.
Click the Ext 1 tab at the top.
The important fields here are all provided in your welcome email or the control panel for the first (default) extension:
- Proxy and Registration section: Proxy (the SIP proxy server) and also the Outbound NAT proxy server
- Subscriber info section: User ID and Auth ID (your first Centrex extension number), and Password (your account password set in the Extensions control panel)
Click Submit all Changes and the phone will register with the service provider.
- By Default we support the G711a or G711u Codecs but if you are using multiple phones on your broadband connection, or you have a low bandwidth internet connection, then in the Audio Configuration section we recommend you choose G729a as the Preferred Codec. This will allow the phone to use less bandwidth where possible
- Please note that if you wish to use G729a you will need to request that this codec is enabled for your extension
- Please set your DTMF Tx Method to AUTO this will allow our system to recognise what keys you press on your phone
- If you intend to use multiple Linksys SPA IP telephones behind a Nat Firewall you will need to give each port on the Lynksys SPA telephones a unique SIP Port number
- For example if you have two Telephones and you wish to use all four lines then on the first Telephone you would set ext1 sip port to 5060 and ext2 sip port to 5061, on the second Telephone you would set ext1 sip port to 5062 and ext2 sip port to 5063