As standard all Sipura units come configured for use with USA telecoms systems. In order to hear the correct tones for UK telecoms systems it is necessary to change a few settings. Your phone will then sound like a normal BT phone rather than giving off American style tones & rings.
This applies to Sipura ATAs (such as SPA1001, 3000 etc...) and Linksys IP Phones and ATA's (SPA 841/941/PAP2t).
You will need to browse to the web interface of the device and select the admin login, and switch to the advanced view using your web browser.
For most users who just have analog phones plugged into their SPA units (or using an 841) these default American settings are little more than an inconvenience & changing them will just make the phone sound more like a UK phone should.
However, if you have a PBX system connected to the Sipura ATA then these settings could cause some erratic behaviour if the PBX has been configured for a UK BT phone line.
The following values on the Regional tab will need to be changed to support UK tones and alerts.
- Dial tone: 350@-19,440@-22;10(*/0/1+2)
- Ring back: 400@-20,450@-20;*(.4/.2/1+2,.4/2/1+2)
- Busy tone: 400@-20;10(.375/.375/1)
- Reorder tone: 400@-20;10(*/0/1)
- SIT 1 tone: 950@-16,1400@-16,1800@-16;20(.330/0/1,.330/0/2,.330/0/3,0/1/0)
- MWI dial tone: 350@-19,440@-22;10(.75/.75/1+2)
- CWT1 cadence: 30(.1/2)
- CWT2 cadence: 30(.25/.25,.25/.25,.25/5)
- CWT frequency: 400@-10
- Ring 1 cadence: 60(.4/.2,.4/2)
- Ring 2 cadence (used for BT Call Sign): 60(1/2)
- Ring 3 cadence (used for BT Ring Back): 60(.25/.25,.25/.25,.25/1.75)
- Ring 4 cadence: 60(.4/.8)
- Ring 5 cadence: 60(2/4)
- Time Zone: GMT
- FXS Port Impedance: 370+620||310nF
- Caller ID Method: ETSI FSK With PR(UK)
- Daylight Saving Rule: start=3/-1/7/2:0:0;end=10/-1/7/2:0:0;save=1:0:0
PSTN line settings for SPA-3000:
- PSTN Disconnect Detection
- Detect CPC: yes
- Detect Polarity Reversal: no
- Detect PSTN Long Silence: yes
- PSTN Long Silence Duration: 30
- Min CPC Duration: 0.09
- Detect Disconnect Tone: yes
- Disconnect Tone: 400@-30;20(*/0/1)
- FXO Port Impedance: 370+620||310nF
- On-Hook Speed: 3ms (ETSI) (seems right - UK is ETSI)
- Current Limiting Enable: yes (seems right - UK should be approving to CTR21)
- Ring Validation Time: 256ms
- Ring Indication Delay: 0
- Ring Timeout: 12
Advanced Configuration and Troubleshooting
Read http://www.sinet.bt.com for more details on the BT guidelines for setting these values. Look-up BT SIN 350 issue 1.2 & SIN 351 issue 4.2.