This guide covers manual configuration of a Yealink T20PN phone for use with Gradwell services. Please note that if you have purchased your phone from Gradwell you have the option to have an extension setup on the phone when it is despatched to you - all you need to do is connect the phone.
Unpack the phone and cables and plug them together as follows (easiest done with the phone base upside down):
- Connect the base unit and handset together using the curly phone cable. This plugs into the socket with the handset icon. If using a headset, plug it into the other socket with the headset icon underneath the base unit (located to the far right of the product label)
- Connect the Ethernet socket marked INTERNET to one of the sockets on your router using the coloured network cable (alternatively, if you are using a hub or switch connect the phone to the appropriate port on that device)
- Connect and plug in the power cable (if required). However, Yealink phones support PoE (Power Over Ethernet) to power the device if this available at your location
The phone should automatically pick up an IP address (unless DHCP is not enabled on your network - if this is the case please read the section on setting up an IP address below).
If you have purchased the phone from Gradwell and requested that we configure an extension on the device, then you just need to leave the phone for around five minutes. The device will contact our servers and the configuration will be downloaded onto the phone (if you encounter any problems with this, please see this guide for more help).
If you wish to configure the device manually, please read the rest of this article
Switch the power on (if required), and leave the phone to initialise for a minute or two. The phone will display Initializing Please Wait on the screen.
Setting up a headset
If you have a headset connected to your phone, you can set this to be the default audio device, simply press the Headset key on the phones keypad, a picture of a headset will be shown on the phones screen.
- To answer a call, use the OK button, pick up the handset or press the Speaker button for hands-free operation
- To make calls, enter the number using the keypad and then pick up the handset. To make a call using the speakerphone enter the number and press the speaker key
- To pick up voicemails, dial *1
(Only necessary if you do not use DHCP on your network)
- Press the Menu softkey to enter the phones configuration menu
- Press 3 for Settings then OK
- Press 2 for Advanced Settings, then OK
- Using the alphanumeric keypad you now need to enter your admin password, by default this is admin. Press the OK key
- Press 2 for Network then OK
- Press 1 for WAN Port then OK
- Press 2 for Static IP Client then OK
- Using the alphanumeric keypad enter the required IP, Subnet Mask, Gateway and DNS servers, using the * key to enter a seperating dot (.)
Once complete, select OK, the phone will then reinitialise.
Configuring the Phone
(Only necessary for phones not purchased from Gradwell)
Press the Menu softkey followed by 1 to obtain the IP address of the phone.
Using a web browser on a PC connected to the same network enter the IP Address, you will then be prompted for a username and password, by default both of these values are set to admin (n.b. please see this help guide if you have purchased the phone from Gradwell).
If you did not purchase the phone from Gradwell, please read this article on the importance of changing the web interface username and password on your device.
You will then see the Yealink configuration screen, with a number of tabs to click on and the phones current status.
Click on the Account tab. Next, from the dropdown select the account number you wish to configure, for most users this will be Account 1.
The important fields here are all provided in your welcome email, or in the VoIP control panel for the first (default) extension:
- Label: This is a description that will be displayed on the phones LCD screen for the account
- Display Name: This is normally your name, and is sent when a VoIP to VoIP call is made
- Register Name/User Name: This is your 7 digit extension number
- Password: The password associated with the extension number
- SIP Server: sip.gradwell.com, port 5060 - this is our SIP registration server, which is used by your phone to register your account
- Enable Outbound Proxy Server: If you are behind NAT (your phone IP for example is 192.168.1.5) then set this to Enabled. If you are unsure if your phone is behind NAT, set this to enabled
- Outbound Proxy Server: If you have selected Enabled above, then enter natproxy.gradwell.com, port 5082
- Transport: UDP
Once the settings have been entered, click on the Confirm button - the phone will then reinitialise.
Accessing the web interface on phones purchased from Gradwell
If you purchase your Yealink handset from Gradwell we will automatically change the default web interface password on the device. Therefore the password to access the web interface will be different to the one in the user manual.
Please see this help guide for the password we have set on your device.